Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Saturday, Sunday, Sconeday...



Supermarket shopping day today. (Monday)

I find myself feeling relieved that the school-holidays are over and that there probably won’t be a queue at the checkout this morning. As an ex-primary-school teacher I can’t believe that I’ve become one of those miserable people who moan about the school holidays! I’m not really - only when it comes to supermarket queues!

And after the shopping, our usual visit to the garden-centre for coffee and one of their perfect freshly-baked fluffy-on-the-inside-crispy-on-the-outside fruit scones. My weekly high-carb-high-fat treat. Ahh, Saturday, Sunday, Sconeday….


* * * * * * * * * * * *


An elderly man dithers before the ‘savoury biscuits’ shelf. He takes a packet of Rice Cakes down. He hesitates, peering at the label, holding it close to his nose. An assistant, in her checked uniform jacket hovers a few feet away, watching and waiting. She takes a replacement packet of Rice Cakes from her stacked trolley, anxious for her turn.

Reconsidering, the man puts the biscuits back on the shelf and slowly selects another brand from a lower shelf, bending with difficulty. The assistant tuts, and returns her packet of Rice Cakes to her trolley. She watches intently.

The man, changes his mind again, and eventually decides that his original choice was the correct one. He shuffles stiffly away, the trolley his Zimmer-frame, satisfied with his purchase.

I await my turn, as the woman, sighing, restacks the self, rejigging the packets and lining them up neatly at the front of the shelf (‘facing up’ I think this is called).
I approach the shelf and apologetically take down my chosen Dutch Crispbakes.
I walk away quickly, aware that I have ruined her nice neat display.

* * * * * * * * *


A friend up from London remarked that our local supermarket chain was ‘very upmarket - rather like Waitrose’. I gather that to be compared favourably with Waitrose is the ultimate accolade.


No comments: