Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Help - I've been tagged!




I’ve been tagged by Jonathan to choose my favourite French films. Help! I can’t really remember any, as I’m not really a film buff; I’m happy to watch a film once, and that’s that.


As for French films - well I remember the usual stuff, ‘Jean de Florette’, 'The Red Balloon ' etc.
However, one I particularly remember is ‘Blanche’ : this was directed by a Pole, Walerian Borowczyk, (1971) but I suppose it counts as it was filmed in French, in France.


It was an atmospheric tale set in a 13th century court, where the King’s young wife was seduced by the wrong man. The outcome was pretty savage; her lover being drawn behind horses until he was a ‘bleeding piece of earth’ and Blanche herself suffering the dreadful fate of being bricked up. So not what you’d call a jolly film!


But it was filmed beautifully; slowly, the camera allowed to linger. The period setting was meticulously realized, and the music, played on original instruments was authentic and moving. I like that fact that many foreign films are so static and unrushed, refusing to bow to the Hollywood requirement to dash about hither and thither at great head-spinning speed. After all, life is not a series of ‘edited highlights’.

I have no problem with subtitles - in fact if a film is dubbed, I won’t watch it. Dubbing drains all the atmosphere from a film; the sound of the language -whether you understand it or not - is essential to the ‘spirit of place‘
So - not a list I’m afraid, but the best I can do!

5 comments:

Jonathan Wonham said...

Thanks for the suggestion AD. I've never heard of the Red Ballon, so will watch out for that. Blanche sound pretty grim. It reminded me of a very funny film called 'Les Visiteurs' which is a comedy in which 13th century knights are time-transported into the present. Really it's a vehicle for satirising modern life, and brilliantly done.

anno domini said...

I'm showing my age - 'The Red Balloon' was a short mostly silent film (late '50s) about a small boy who is followed around Paris by a friendly balloon!

Livvy U. said...

Dear a.d.
Just to say hello, and let you know that I am - finally - adding a Blogroll to Livvy's Life this weekend, and yours will be on it.
Lots of good thoughts
Livvy

fjl said...

Yes, it's a good one. x

anno domini said...

Thanks, All. Also, many thanks for linking to me, livvy!