Monday, June 04, 2007

Ambleside - 2

Some more photos of Ambleside, taken on Wednesday.

The House on the Bridge - built around 300 years ago this has been described as a Garden House, a Summer House and an apple store. It is built over the Stock Ghyll, some have said to avoid land tax. Stock Ghyll ran between the gardens of the old Ambleside Hall (no longer there) and its orchard. It is said that at one time a family with 6 children lived in the two rooms!




The old mill wheel

Garden alongside Stock Ghyll


The Apple Pie Eating House





Old cottages in Ambleside:









cottages in Peggy Hill











6 comments:

Princesse Ecossaise said...

hello! I just found your site on technorati, thankyou very much for linking to my blog!

These pictures are wonderful, I especially like the old mill wheel. I adore the country side and I adore old cottages. These pictures remind me of many times I have gone on long country walks with my parents, passing through old villages and seeing the mills and cottages. Beautiful stuff ^_^

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed the photos. Sandy

anno domini said...

Thank you, princesse ecossaise and Sandy. I go a bit 'snap-happy' when I see old buildings! Thank goodness for digital cameras - no need to worry about using all that film!

Livvy U. said...

Beautiful, beautiful - and I'm so glad you've come back from your break!

anno domini said...

Thank you, livvy

TOMAS said...

Wow, the photos put me in awe. I'm spellbound and wholeheartedly thank you for the sharing. Old houses look so catching - wow!
By the way, my joy gifted a riddle. I have tried to capture my emotions and the picture has obtained quite interesting color.
The artists enjoy the textures of old walls (the signs of time) but the people are happy to indwell in more comfortable apartments - enjoy not the inscriptions of ages on their walls but the cleanness of new wallpaper